Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Thing #19, Web 2.0 Awards

I chose to look at the 'short list' and am still a bit overwhelmed about the sheer number of social networking sights and the range of applications they cover. A couple of these sites rang bells for me, namely, Facebook, YouTube and Craig's List. The majority; however, are a mystery and will be a discovery adventure when time allows.

I chose to take a deeper look at Meebo as I saw this imbedded chat tool on one of the public library sites listed in this program. Although IM is all around me, here and at home, I have never partaken and have not experienced its joys first hand. The idea of real-time chat with library patrons is an excellent one. Meebo on the library's webpage would allow the user to connect to their own library for information, rather than a library network as we have with "Ask Us Now". Using Meebo, a patron could ask for account information, request a reserve or sign up for a program. The only catch I can see is you must have an IM account with a provider to take advantage of Meebo.

No comments: